Summer Uniforms + Discovering Style

Jul 25, 2016

Lately, I've noticed my closet dwindling down to only the "essentials" and slowly but surely I'm becoming more of a "uniform" dresser and I love it. Most days you'll either find me in a simple dress, neutral silk blouse & skinnies, a pump or strappy sandals. What I love most about simplicity is from there it's so easy to add a luxurious cardigan, statement necklace, or designer pump and create an entirely different look. I like to think of my "uniform" as a blank canvas, if you will, and love the ease with which I create my outfits + know they work because I'm reaching for pieces that are tried & true. “Minimalism is not subtraction for the sake of subtraction. Minimalism is subtraction for the sake of focus!” -- aberMinimal



If you're wondering how a capsule wardrobe and uniform differ? I'd say the main difference is the lack of rules and ban on shopping. Typically in a month, I add 1-2 new pieces (favouring higher price points) to one or more of my curated outfits, and I currently have 5 in total. Going slow is definitely favourable as it keeps the experience a little more organic and I don't feel overwhelmed. As the quote above so eloquently states “Minimalism is not subtraction for the sake of subtraction. Minimalism is subtraction for the sake of focus!” and I couldn't agree more! xo







Outfit Details:

Zara Dress (similar)
Stella & Dot Necklace (similar)
BR Tote Bag
Aldo Shoes (similar)

13 comments:

  1. You look gorgeous my beautiful friend! Love this dress on you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simple outfits are always a great way to go! They're classic and chic.

    xo Bryn
    www.waketonroad.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been gravitating more and more to minimalist dressing lately as well - it always creates a sense of focused sophistication in my mind.

    Courtney ~ Sartorial Sidelines

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that quote and I love the idea of having more "focus" in my closet. I've been loving all your outfits lately, and how they're simple but still so elegant and stylish (this one is a perfect example!). I will need to do a little closet overhaul once I'm back to my normal wardrobe :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Subtraction for the sake of focus - I couldn't have said it better! The feeling of adding something new to your wardrobe is so satisfying but once you have all of those momentarily satisfying new things at home, your closet becomes an overwhelming nightmare. I'm definitely due for a closet cleanout right now, because while my wardrobe is extensive, I come back to the same outfits over and over (and over!) again. I'm loving this look on you, V - I always think that all back looks so lovely with blonde hair. Happy Monday!
    xox,
    Cee

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're looking gorgeous in this minimalistic and summery outfit! You're such a natural beauty and anything that you wear looks wonderful on you. :)

    http://lartoffashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This dress looks great on you, V! Such a classic "uniform"!

    xo, alison*elle

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful outfit, and love the switch up of location! :) I need more uniform pieces in my closet. Hope your week is going well.

    http://abeautifulheart07.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that quote! It describes me perfectly. People look at me a little oddly when I say I am a minimalist because I love a more bohemian style, but that's just where my focus is. Minimalism does not have to be the same black and grey tees with the same blue or black jeans day in and day out. Anyway, my uniform is 90s inspo or boho style dresses with combat boots. It's just what I do - it's my focus.

    Lovely uniform you have got going on and thank you for making me think this morning!

    aroseisinbloom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I could not agree with you more about the focus of uniform dressing–every morning I'm grateful for it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That necklace is definitely a statement necklace. Love the outfit

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stunning look. I really love a good all black look :)
    xx Fiona THEDASHINGRIDER.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I adore this necklace! It's such a statement piece.

    ReplyDelete