Blog Spotlight: Introducing Kate of O My Heart!

Jun 15, 2011

Welcome to the first edition of a new feature here at Girl & Closet. I'm so thrilled to introduce the beautiful, kind and chic Kate of O My Heart. I found Kate's blog earlier this year and was thrilled to connect with a fellow Canadian blogger. I quickly fell for Kate's girly & classy aesthetic, and she's an absolute sweetheart too. Be sure to check out her blog; you will love her gorgeous style!! Enjoy the interview!
1. Tell us a little bit about yourself?
Haha, what would you like to know? My name is Kate, I'm in my late twenties & live on the east coast of Canada! I'm kind and affectionate and a little bit shy, with a love for nachos, music, fruit smoothies and of course, a slight obsession with fashion & personal style blogs!

2. What inspired you to start your fashion blog?
I had been reading fashion blogs for about two years by the time I started my blog and I just kept finding myself wanting to join in... it looked so fun! I always kept folders on my desktop where I'd save photos that inspired me or items I was lusting over, and I loved the idea being able to keep that all in one place & share it with others! I was incredibly nervous to start one though and kept it a secret for quite a while! 
3. How has your personal sense of style evolved over the blogging years?
My personal style has definitely changed since starting my blog. I went through a weird phase about 4 months into my blog where I looked at my photos and realized my style was not at all what I wanted it to be. What I liked in my head and what was saved in all of my inspiration folders was not at all what I was portraying. I think over the last year I've become a little less cutesy and a little more polished, which as a girl in my late 20's, was one of the things I wanted to achieve.

4. Aside from fashion blogging, what are some of your other passions?
People! The people in my life - my family, my boyfriend, my friends. Those are my passions. Also, finding new music. I possess no musical talent myself, other than a good ear... I love finding new bands to love, and spend a lot of time looking for something new to listen to!

5. What do you love doing on your days off?
My days off are usually really low key. I spend a lot of time with the fella or with friends, watching movies, shopping, or going to see local bands. I like to go to fitness classes at the gym. I like to go out for dinner or make a big meal when I have the time. Though I also like to take advantage of my days off to take outfit photos for the blog! A dream day would probably involve going to an amusement park - I am a bit of a roller coaster junkie but we don't have any near here! Trips to big cities often involve scouting one out!
6. Who takes your outfit pictures and do you have any photography tips?
Most of my photos are taken by myself, with a tripod and a camera remote! Occasionally the fella will take photos for me, and sometimes I get together with blogger pals Candice of Brilliant Sugar or Kristin of Doll Parade for photo sessions! As for tips, my biggest tip is to take photos in good natural light and to not use a flash. I find shooting in the shade works best, or on a slightly overcast day.

7. What are your dreams and aspirations for your blog?
I don't have any set goals for my blog at this point - I just want to keep doing it, keep growing it, and see where it takes me! It's just a fun hobby for me, so anything that happens beyond that is just a bonus!
8. What summer trends are you absolutely loving right now?
Oh gosh, there are so many fun trends right now. I am pretty obsessed with loose fitting blouses paired with shorts & pumps - I feel like this will be my summer uniform! I am also really loving the casual coolness of boat shoes & loafers. And, of course, all the bold, bright colors, color blocking, and touches of neon!

9. What’s your current go to outfit?
As I mentioned above, all I want to wear right now is loose fitting blouses with shorts. However, I only have a couple of these in my closet, so while it's not my go-to outfit fully yet, it will be! When I’m in a big rush I generally throw on stripes – easy & chic!
10. Do you have any tips for new or aspiring fashion bloggers? 
There are so many different aspects to consider, but I guess technically speaking, make your outfit photos big enough that we can easily see the details. I always find it frustrating going to a blog and seeing tiny photos where I can't make out any of the details of what you're wearing! Also, when you comment on other blogs, try to be sincere. Avoid leaving comments that make any reference to "If you follow me, I'll follow you!" - to be honest, I purposely won't go visit your blog if you've left that as a comment. And most importantly, be yourself, be sincere, and try not to get caught up in it all. While blogging has a ton of positive aspects, it also has a dark side... jealousy, feeling inferior, feeling like you "need" certain items to keep up with other bloggers, getting down on yourself for not having as many followers or as many comments as someone else, etc. Try not to let this stuff get you down, and just try to stay true to yourself and what you like. Try to remember you're doing this for FUN! If it's not fun, something needs to change!

A BIG thank you to Kate for this wonderful interview! Isn't she adorable, you guys?! You can visit her blog here: O My Heart ...and stay tuned for the second edition of "blog spotlight." I'll be doing the next one in August. Hope everyone is having the loveliest of Wednesdays. xx veronika

45 comments:

  1. I just love Kate! I think she was one of the first bloggers I started following and of course I love her style. BUT I also just love her music posts - she picks the best stuff!

    http://thefreckledmarauder.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great feature! I love meeting fellow Canadian bloggers as well, her style is so chic and effortless.

    XO
    Lenore

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post I love reading interviews with other bloggers :) Going to have a look at kates blog X

    ReplyDelete
  4. such a nice interview! i love her style. and its really nice to get to know other bloggers out there!
    xo
    katie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love her, great new addition Veronika!
    xo Cara
    http://www.afashionloveaffair.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great feature! Kate sounds lovely! Love that first outfit with the polka dot top and red pumps!
    Lidi @ Eclectic Flair

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great feature - I'm a big fan of her blog and I just loved getting to learn a bit more about her!

    xoxo ~ Courtney
    http://sartorialsidelines.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I follow Kate - such a cool feature. Yay.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE Kate's blog! Excellent new feature. East Coast Canadian fashion blogs represent!

    EK

    Hey Good Lookin' blog

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE Kate's blog! Excellent new feature. East Coast Canadian fashion blogs represent!

    EK

    Hey Good Lookin' blog

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such a great feature Veronika! I actually love her blog already as it is, but it's great to hear the interview and her thoughts on blogging in general. Love that last question...the wariness of the if you follow me, i'll follow you is something we all obviously share!

    Alex xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay for more beautiful Canadian bloggers!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh goodness! I adore her style.

    Melanie@Unravelled Threads
    Follow @UnraveldThreads on twitter!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love her style, and she seems like such a lovely person. I'm definetly going to check out her blog. And I love the idea of a 'blogger spotlight' because I'm always looking for more blogs to follow!
    L x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great interview, she seems to be so nice! And she is so beautiful :)
    x catherine-oneway.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Totally loving this feature. Touches on neon for summer? I'm all over that!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I follow her too! love her blog :)

    xo galmeetsglam.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Isn't she the cutest?!? Love that pink clutch!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just recently found her blog and it's wonderful. Great interview my dear!! Oh how I wish I could get a wireless remote for my camera :(
    xJennaD

    ReplyDelete
  20. she is so adorable, i love her simple and chic look!

    <3 steffy
    Steffys Pros and Cons

    ReplyDelete
  21. Her blog is new to me, but I'll have to check it out based on these cute outfits.

    ReplyDelete
  22. That was a really great interview and post. Answer 10 is my fav because I fret about all that negative stuff and never stopped to think that that was negative. Thanks for sharing!
    Cheers,
    Bre

    ReplyDelete
  23. Aww, thank you SO much for doing this feature!! So sweet of you, m'dear! And thanks to all of you for your lovely comments & follows! xo!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the feature, and I really love Kate's style. Her fuchsia clutch had me in serious purse envy the first time I spied it!

    A Girl's Next Best Friend

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh I love this feature! I think it's always super fun to find out who my favorite bloggers follow!

    xx Melina

    ReplyDelete
  26. what a great interview! i've been a big fan of kate for some time now and this just affirms that she is one of the sweetest people ever!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great interview! I've been blogging friends with Kate for about a year now and I love her style : )

    ReplyDelete
  28. she's so cute, thanks for sharing!

    <3Meghan

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love being introduced to new bloggers! (. . . off to check it out)

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love Kate's pretty, feminine style! This is a great new series--I always love finding new blogs to read! (I just wish I could find more time in the day!!)

    ReplyDelete
  31. I absolutely LOVE her look-she dresses like I wish I did!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love Kate! I've been reading her blog for ages- it's one of the first Canadian blogs I ever stumbled across- and, in addition to being incredibly stylish, she's such a sweetheart. I loved reading this interview, and I can't wait to meet your other favourite bloggers :) Hope you're having a wonderful evening- and getting to celebrate a little bit, if you're a hockey fan :D
    xox,
    Cee

    ReplyDelete
  33. Okay.... I love this feature, I just visited her blog and have been going nuts for her awesome style for 40 minutes! Thanks for the intro, she is on my blogroll now!!!

    Hayley
    http://www.theweekendfile.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. i love Kate! she's one of the sweetest and most genuine girls i've come across in this big blog world yet!

    xoxo danni

    ReplyDelete
  35. What a fabulous interview. I just love Kate's blog! She's darling and has such great style! And what a fun new feature!

    rebeccawithanR

    ReplyDelete
  36. Wow she sounds (and looks) like such a doll! Definitely will be checking out her blog. :)

    Wanderlusting Fool

    ReplyDelete
  37. I have that green anorak! I love the way you used it in those outfits, I've been only wearing mine with skinny jeans and shorts, i'll be adding it to dresses and including more color thanks to those inspiring photos! Loving your blog, I'll be following and checking in often! Hope you stop by MyStyleVita!

    xoxo MyStyleVita

    ReplyDelete
  38. i love your new feature Veronika! and this premier edition featuring Kate is spot on wonderfuls.

    i think it's so cool how, especially for you fashion bloggers, you can look back on your outfits this way and fine tune things to develop an even greater fashion sense. like Kate said, it does a stellar service to refining your personal direction of taste.

    fab advice and q/a's. cheers ladies, well done! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  39. She is super cute! Great style. Thanks for featuyring her!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Wow Kate has amazing style! Thanks for doing this interview Veronika and introducing me to another cool style blogger! I really liked how Kate made light of the negative aspects of style blogging- it’s so true, I know I’ve found myself thinking that I wasn’t cute enough with my current wardrobe/style. So it’s a great reminder to just have fun with it!

    It was also really cool to hear how she saw through her blog that her style wasn’t how she envisioned it and adjusted it to be! Thanks girls!

    ReplyDelete
  41. I love this new feature on your blog! I've discovered quite a few great blogs through your tweets and from what I can see so far, this one is no different! I definitely need to stop by Kate's blog, I really love every single outfit of hers that I've seen here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  42. Kate is my bestie. This affirms it yet again! Wonderful interview, Veronika!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Both Kate & Veronika, thank you for this interview. I've recently started fashion blogging and love finding new blogs and reading people's stories. You both have fantastic style and seem super sweet. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  44. This is great, and she's adorable! I will have to go check out her blog.

    When will you be doing your next blogger spotlight? :)

    ReplyDelete